Tuesday, August 21, 2007

If it's not on us who is it on?

(HAPPY BIRTHDAY JORDON!!!! MY BABY IS 6!!!)

It's 12:30 in the morning and I cannot sleep. I've just watched two, no make that three episodes of a show called State of Mind, which is so funny, and I just really got the urge to blog. I seriously cannot even tell you how long it's been, well I could if I looked at my last entry but whatever you know what I mean.

Anyway, the topic that has brought me to the keyboard at 12am is being judgemental/honest/overweight/happy.

Now what does all that have to do with each other? Well here's where I'm coming from. I'm sure you've heard my story.....an average size 7 all my life, never worked out was just a normal girl that lived in the city and walked here and there doing things with her friends. Well I meet my husband, stopped walking anywhere and got into a comfortable relationship. By time I got married I was a size 9 by time I was pregnant I was a size 11.

(1999 at Josh's prom, the smallest I ever was at a size 6)

***side note***
anyone who knows anything knows that when I was a 7 it was a 7/8 and 9 it was 9/10...on and on....funny how it seems so much better by dropping that number on the end. lol.
***end side note***

Anyway two kids later I'm a size 12. Do I like myself? YES. Do I like my body? NO.

And I am sick and tired of everyone telling me that they are one and the same. No I don't agree. I love the woman I am. I am funny, smart, pretty and yeah, sexy. But I don't like my body. I don't like my thighs, I don't like my stomach, I don't like the tops of my arms (although they really aren't that bad). But it is really starting to piss me off that whenever I say I hate my body people say I have self esteem issues and I don't 'love' or 'like' myself. I don't see it like that at all.


(this is a bad picture, I don't have any makeup on or my hair done, but I wanted you to see a recent picture)

I mean I'm talking about an outward physical thing here. I know my body doesn't make who I am, but that doesn't mean you should neglect it. Right? I mean like it is more understanding to me for a man that has never seen me naked to say I'm hot and sexy. Cause yeah, I am, I dress for my body type an I am pretty. Because I know that does it make me conceited? I hope not, I don't really think so. But like I was saying it is easier for me to believe this random guy than to believe that my husband finds my BODY sexy. My husbands seen me naked.

Now people confuse this when I say it too. Yes I know my husband loves ME, and I know he finds ME sexy (as in the woman I am) but my body? I have a hard time grasping that.

Am I making any sense here or is this just a stupid midnight rant?

I mean people say I am judgemental cause I comment on peoples physical appearance. Well sorry, I work in the mall, it gets slow and there is nothing to do but people watch. And I try to make a habit of not walking around with rose colored glasses on so when I see someone that looks like they are about my age and cannot even walk properly because they are so big I comment on it.

Just today I was watching a girl that was probably younger than my 26 years walk down the stairs in the mall. First of all it took her about 5 minutes, second she had to put both feet on each step, third when she did get down she had to hold the rail and take a few big deep breaths before she could continue to walk.

No there was nothing wrong with her, she was just very overweight. And why is it wrong for me to thing this is ridiculous? I mean come on the girl had to be about 20, this is just out of control. If she's not accountable for getting that way who is?

I mean don't we control what we become? Don't we control what goes into our mouths? Weather or not we exercise? I mean for that matter, even if a little off topic, don't we control what we feed our children and what activities we put them in?

I mean we just make to many excuses for the way we are. And I don't think by saying that it means I hate myself and am a horrible person. I love myself, and I want me to be the best I can be. And I'm sorry but if I cannot sit down without feeling the need to drape my arm across my stomach I'm not the best I can be. What about instead of making excuses we make goals? You know.

Maybe if we got different mindsets and approached things differently the average size will stop jumping from 7 to 12.

Sorry midnight rant over. But not sorry for my opinions, they are mine and I am entitled to them. And just so we can clarify this one last thing up....no this post does NOT mean I hate fat people. lol.

...night.

~ Nicole

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Midnight rant good! Glad you are alive and haven't dropped off the face of the planet.

(I moved to Typepad btw...)

Unknown said...

It's a good thing you added that disclaimer at the end....all I could think was "Oh Lord she's finally back and there will be lots o' drama in Blogland just like last time she said something about 'big girls'!"

Anyway, anyone who says that they are 100% satisfied with their body is a liar. No one can love their body 100% all of the time. It's called being human. This is especially true for women. We all also judge people based on their outward appearance. You may think someone is God Awful F'Ugly and then get to know them and realize they really are beautiful because of their personality. On the other hand, you could think someone is Drop Dead Gorgeous and get to know them and realize how ugly they are because they are a genuinely nasty person on the inside.

I am like you. I bitch, moan and complain about my body, because even if I'm not "fat" I'm not what I was used to. I went from a size 3/4 (even right after I had Travis) to a 5/6 to a 7/8 and then to a 9/10. Even if I was actually just finally gaining a "womanly" body (I finally got hips last year) and yeah, my belly got a little squishy and my thighs got more flabby, etc. Mike still thinks I'm sexxy because he loves me. Josh thinks you're sexxy because he loves you. BUT if you aren't satisfied with your body, your confidence goes down and so does your sexiness level. Its a vicious cycle. As long as you don't take it to the extreme (live on lettuce and exercise for 5 hours a day) no one should say anything about how you choose to deal with your body issues. AND, like I tell Mike, as a woman, it is my right to complain about my body and still not do a damn thing to "fix" it.

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel. I like me, but I dint like my body. My husband says that I'm silly and that he finds me attractive the way I am, but I cant see it!!

Michelle said...

YAY back! *confetti*
I agree that no one completely loves their body. When I was a size 00, I was pissed because my butt was too small. When I was a size 8, I was pissed because my tummy looked big. Women are very hard on themselves...it's rather sad.

Lori said...

I can totally relate, and I feel the same way. I was a size 4 when I got married, and have gone all the way up to a 12 and now am somewhere around a 10. But I'm just not all that happy, even though other people think I look great, and my hubby thinks I'm very sexy and beautiful.

And you're right, it's all about us and what we do for ourselves. But damn, finding the time with kids, a hubby and a full time job sure is hard, isn't it?

Nicole said...

Lori,
That's what I'm struggling with right now. I work full time so when I'm off I feel guilty sneaking away to the gym and not spending whatever free time I have with my kids and husband.

Sushi,
Yeah, I'm back. When I have time. lol. And I know women can be hard on themselves. But I don't feel like I am. I just want to be happy with myself. I don't want to lose my curves. I'll never have a small butt or thighs and that's fine with me. I just want to be comfortable with myself.

Serendipity,
At least we have great husbands huh? lol.

CSR,
Oh of course, nobody can complain/comment/talk about our bodies but us. lol.

Nikki,
Thanks, the rant felt good. haha.