Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Urban Legends

Or just things that freak you out! Such as the man waiting in the back seat of your car just waiting to get you. Or the leprechaun that is under your car and every time you get in or out it tries to slice your ankles. Or the rapist that is hiding behind the corner next to your door or behind your bush. Or the freaky murderer that is standing on your balcony late at night just waiting for your eyes to meet.

Yeah yeah, I know they are all made up crazy talk. And some I've even made up myself cause my mind won't stop. Not that there are never rapes or murders, I am not making light of that. But you do know what I mean right?

Well even though I know it's all made up stuff it still freaks me out. When I get into my car at night after work I scan my backseat, after I park I jump outta my car (seriously I do!) so my ankles don't get sliced. When I walk to my car I even hold my key in my hand like a knife in case anyone jumps out at me.

You may all think I'm a little loopy, and I'm sure you'rr right. But this was all born out of growing up in the City where some of the things I fear aren't so fake (as in getting jumped on your way to your car), or just all the scary movies and books I stayed up late reading and watching as a pre-teen. Regardless all these things scare me.

Ask Holly. Tonight I was talking to her on the phone as is my nightly ritual on my way home from work. Our conversation on Urban Legends all started cause I had just gone self tanning for the first time in like 6 years. So this is how the conversation went:

Me: I know it's retarded but since I know self tanning is bad for you I think my mind is messing with me. Like my insides feel all queasy and I know it's because I heard about that girl that went tanning way to much, like 10 times a day for like a week straight and cooked her insides.
Holly: Jazz, you do know that is just an Urban Legend right?
Me: No it's not, it was in the paper or something
Holly: No really it wasn't, it's just a story passed down. He said and she said on and on.
Me: I don't believe you.
Holly: Just like the man that is always in your back seat waiting to get you.
Me: (glancing in my rear view mirror) Stop it, you know I'm in my car and it's all kinds of late!
Holly: Well, that one is true.
Me: ***Screams***(yes a real scream) STOP IT! YOUR FREAKING ME OUT!!!
Holly: snickering
Me: (trying to play it cool) Or how bout the leprechaun that is under the car always trying to slice your ankles.
Holly: Exactly.
Me: laughing (even as chills skate down my back and I jump away from the car)
Holly: Or the guy that is lurking around the corner of your door.
Me: That is so not funny! You know how scared I get, now I'm not going home, I'm taking a walk.
Holly: Oh like that's safer, stop being silly. Go in the house.
Me: Okay but if someone is there you are so dead. It will be all your fault. I should scare you.
Holly: Whatever.
Me: Spider, spider, spider...
Holly: **gasp** That is so not right!
Me: .....(after I am in the house safe and sound) You are so lucky!!!

Okay so I know it was silly for me to get all paranoid but I was really freaked out. How silly am I? But it's just not something I can change. I will always be a little scared when I walk into the house and nobody is home but me. Or even when I am in the shower and rinsing off my face or my hair and I have to close my eyes for a long time while the water washes over my face, the entire time I'm scared when I open my eyes someone will be there! Goodness I freak myself out.

I just have to wonder sometimes though, am I the only one that gets so freaked????

6 Comments:

Mailyn said...

dude I get freaked out when I am home alone as well and in the shower.

well, ok, I am always freaked out lol

Nicole said...

thank God it's not only me!

Isabel said...

Usually after a shower I'll open the bathroom door. But that's only if Joey's home. If he's not home, I'll get dressed in bathroom.

I cannot sleep with the closet door open. It freaks me out.

~ames~ said...

LOL Jazz! That's one freaky pic too.

Me too Isabel - all doors in my bedroom need to be closed.

Grace said...

No you're not. In fact, I couldn't even read your entire blog post, since I'm home alone. LOL.

And I had to close the window off while I write out your comment, because that last picture was just staring at me!!! LOL.

Holly,
Shame on you for scaring our girl!

Nicole said...

SEE!!!!! Thank you Mar I knew I wasn't alone in all this. Do you know when I went to get a scary shower picture I googled the movie Phyco (sp?) and all these pics as such popped up. BUT the theme music did too! It's all 12 at night, totally freaked me out. I'm sitting here trying to turn the volume down real quick on my computer. lol.